Black Mold is well known because it can grow in homes and is very toxic to humans. It is a greenish-black color. Usually it is slimy since it has a wet top layer. When the water source of the black mold is cut off it will appear dry and powdery.
There are several types of mold that look similar to black mold. It must be examined under a microscope to identify which type of mold it is. Many molds are easily detected. But this is not the case with black mold. It can go undetected for a long time without the people living in the house knowing there is anything wrong.
What is Black Mold?
This type of mold grows best in warm conditions. It can grow indoors on many common home building products. Typically, it will be found on a place out of plain sight. Many times it will appear where there was a water leak. It can spread through a home via the heating and air conditioning unit.
Common areas that black mold can grow in are:
- Crawl spaces
Any signs of water damage should be inspected like warped walls and peeling paint. If there are stains on the ceilings and walls, leaking faucets or someone living in the house is experiencing some or all of the symptoms black mold is more than likely present. The toxins contained in black mold can cause several symptoms in people.
Symptoms to look for:
- Problems breathing
- Skin rashes
- Allergic reaction like hay fever
- Asthma attacks
What To Do If You Think You Have Black Mold In Your Home
If you believe your home has black you should contact a professional and schedule a home inspection as soon as possible. If black mold is found in your home it may be best to relocate temporarily while it is being removed. If you are suffering from exposure of black mold once you are away from the toxins you body will start to slowly recover. If the exposure was great some of the damage may be permanent.
To prevent black mold in your house:
- Identify problem areas in your home and fix them
- Turn on exhaust fans
- Fix leaks immediately
- If you have a water leak, use space heaters and fans to dry the area out.
- Clean and repair roofs and gutters.
- Replace things immediately like wallpaper, titles or carpets that have become wet.
- Use a vacuum with a HEPA filter.
- Wipe mold off of household plants.
- During humid weather close the windows and run a dehumidifier.
The dangers of black mold are becoming widely known, it can be costly and dangerous. There have been many laws enacted to protect tenants and homeowners from the dangers of exposure. Unfortunately, there is no cure for black mold. You can only have it removed from your home. Know when to contact a professional for help.
If you find less than one square foot of black mold in your home and what to tackle removing it yourself these are the steps you should follow:
- Wear a face mask
- Cover your arm, legs and hands
- Use soap and a sponge to remove the visible mold
- If the area is dry, spray if with water. This will reduce the chance of spreading the mold through the air.
- Use a commercial black mold removal product. You can find one at your local home improvement store. This will disinfect the area.
- Place all cleaning materials in a heavy duty garbage bag and dispose of it
Contact A Professional
If you find more than one square foot of black mold in your home, contact a professional for help. Call Tidal Wave Response for help with your moisture and Black Mold problems.
The key to avoiding black mold is to make your home as dry as possible. Regularly inspect common areas in your home for mold to steer clear of the problems it can cause. Remember you have the fix the cause of moisture problem in your home to eliminate black mold from forming. If you do not fix the moisture problem the mold will return.